Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Let's Talk Turkey

It is only a couple days away from the Thanksgiving holiday here in America. I love it. A whole day dedicated to stuffing a bird then stuffing yourself full of fats, carbs, and tryptophan. We get to laze around on the couch watching football and make serotonin out of that gobbler. Yes, eating turkey is thought to increase the amounts of this wonderful neurotransmitter and make you sleepy. Of course tryptophan is also the starting material for the production of melatonin, another inducer of drowsiness. Personally I think it is more likely that all the beer and wine being consumed is what leads to thanksgiving day couch potato syndrome. By the way, a recent study reported in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture (that one is on everyone's daily reading list, no?) indicates that red wines have a significant amount of melatonin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, let me wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving! What's your favourite stuffing? Do you like your mash potatoes lumpy or whippy? Just curious...

Greg the Chemist said...

Hi Tatauwai,

I like lumpy mashed potatoes with lots of roasted garlic in it. Stuffing? Well, I don't cook my bird with it, but I do like the traditional - bread cubes, celery, onions, carrots, sausage, seasoned with sage.

Unfortunately, I was quite ill on Thanksgiving this year.