Monday, November 26, 2007

methyl 7-chloro-6,7,8-trideoxy-6-(1-methyl-trans-4-propyl-L-2-pyrrolidinecarboxamido)-1-thio-L-threo-α-D-galacto-octopyranoside 2-(dihydrogen phosphat


Man, the name can't even fit in the title field! Maybe the structure will help. I caught me a nasty bug in my leg that's been growing ever since turkey day and this bad boy is trying to keep it in check. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's doing a very effective job. I may need to get it in IV form. More and more antibiotic resistant bacteria are making an appearance. Get out there and discover some new drugs. Please! By the way, this one tastes like shit. I am pumped so full of it I can taste it oozing out into my mouth.

Hope you all had a better holiday.

6 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

whoa, heteroatom orgy!
hope you're better soon :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Greg... get well soon.

Greg the Chemist said...

Thanks. Things are looking up. Don't think I'll need any vancomycin.

Anonymous said...

I have had a very good impressions of Biaxin - a semisynth erytromycine analog from Abbot. I had it first for a deep in-skin infection and then for a resistant throat+bronchitide strep. It promptly eradicated even the evil bugs that thrived on Augmentin (amoxycilin + clavulinate, a combo that is supposed to be particularly useful for resistant strains).

I have had other antibiotics - azitromycine, tetracyclines, quinolones and even chloramphenicol over the years and with exception of penicilins they often make me fell quite awfull, upset stomach and so on.

Biaxin was quick and the main sideeffect was a noticable bitter mouth taste (the antibiotics is exceptionally bitter and has a very large distribution - and it gets distributed to saliva too hence the taste. A chewing gum or a glass of beer masks the problem well).

Get well soon - and also if you have a slow response on one antibiotics don't hesitate to urge your doc to prescribe you another one (all doctors like to start you an a common stuff like Amoxycilin - and for you it can mean extra 2 weeks of misery to re-confirm that yes, the bug is really resistant to penicilins)

Greg the Chemist said...

Thanks. In addition to the clindamycin, I've had a shot of rocephin and am now also taking cephalexin. It seems to be doing the trick. The baddies are on a retreat and now I just need to recover from the damage they've done to my leg.

Anonymous said...

I took this drug for severe dental infection never knowing how it looks chemically. Thanks for the info.