Thursday, January 17, 2008

Busy as a bee

That is me and why I have not posted lately. I still plan to. Don't give up on me. I'm still finding a few minutes here and there to read an article or two. If only the days were 72 hours long. *sigh*

Anyway, there's lots of buzz about Apple's new Macbook Air. Lots of negative comments going around on the mac forums. I don't understand this. Sure, this computer is not for everyone. Sure, this computer could not replace a primary computer. But let's be honest. This is a computer for travelers. This computer is ideal for me. I can't wait to get my hands on one. In the last five years I can't think of a single time I have used my optical drive while on a trip. Rarely have I ever had to use an ethernet cable while on the road and in the last two years I have never needed an ethernet cable. Who's going to travel with bulky firewire peripherals in their carry on bag? All these arguments against the macbook air are ludicrous. Obviously made by people who don't go on frequent short trips. So I ordered one as soon as they were announced.

 I know this is a chemistry blog. So let's talk about chemistry. This is the first laptop with a mercury free LCD display. And the glass contains no arsenic.

8 comments:

Chemgeek said...

There are a few drawbacks to the Air. However, most of these are because Mac is pushing the envelope of innovation. Someday, everything will be wireless. CDs and DVD will be gone.

Mac has always been in the business of quiting things cold turkey rather than weaning the consumer off of dying technology.

There are always pains associated with this. For example, the Air has a very fast wireless card. The problem is that very few computers or routers can keep up.

I was picked by our IT staff to try one out. The problem is, with our situation, it would have to be my only computer. That just won't work right now.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of buying one as well for the same sorts of reasons. The lack of the optical drive is no big deal for me, my current machine's (an iBook) optical drive conked out two years ago and I haven't noticed.

In these days with everything being on the network or bluetooth cables are really becoming a thing of the past (to me at least).

Ψ*Ψ said...

If you get one soon, please please please do a post on it! I want one, since my Sony craptop is dying.

Greg the Chemist said...

I will certainly show and tell when I get it. Thanks for the comments (and sticking with my lame blog).

Anonymous said...

Nah... it's not lame. Go on and write some more! Waiting to hear from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Macbook Air is not the first laptop with a mercury free LCD, that would be the XO by the One Laptop per Child project.

Anonymous said...

macs are for homosexuals.
sorry, thats the beer talking.

synthetic environment said...

There are a lot of lame chemblogs right now so it seems. Glad to see you are still there.(Ohhh... I should post something as well soon on my lame blog, and I should have a craptop.)